According to the World Health Organization, 422 million adults have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, 1.6 million people die each year as a result of diabetes, 1 in 3 adults is overweight, and 1 in 10 adults is obese. Type 2 diabetes and obesity cause very serious damage to the heart, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys and nerves. 2. With type 2 diabetes, there is too much insulin in the body, but the body has developed insulin resistance, which means that the cells are unable to use insulin.
It is a disease resulting from a lifestyle, where eating and exercise habits are out of place! Generally, people consume wrong food in the wrong amount. Physical activity as is important as following eating habits.
To not become obese and to avoid type 2 diabetes:
- Start every day with a breakfast! Don’t skip it! For example, an ideal breakfast is a right amount of whole grain porridge, which could be accompanied by fresh berries! A whole grain bread with a nice salad leaf, cucumber and cheese is just as good! Don’t skip breakfast, because it will give the body the first signal that something is wrong and the body will find solutions to it at the expense of something else! Energy is needed for daily activities, but it is has not been obtained from food.
- The mandatory meals of the day after breakfast are lunch and dinner! For the most part, they should consist of vegetables! They ensure good digestion and supply you with vitamins and minerals, which, among other things, play an important role in our digestive system and metabolism. Of course, you can add a high-quality piece of meat, as well as potatoes, whole-grain pasta or rice!
- Don’t forget the snacks between meals! Eating the right snacks is a perfect way to keep your digestive system healthy and happy! By eating snacks between meals, you prevent overeating during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Choose fresh fruits, vegetables or a handful of nuts! You should always have one of the MySnack chips in your bag! It is a delicious, crunchy pleasure that gives you enough vitamins and promotes digestion!
- Stay active! Exercising is IN! Exercise is the best way to keep your metabolism toned! In addition to the fact that any physical activity burns calories, exercise, including completely normal walking, helps to absorb the calcium that is essential for bone and dental health! Walk every day for at least 45 minutes! Just go for a walk or workout with a friend!
- Don’t deny yourself your favorite foods! It causes stress and stress is one of the main causes of obesity. We all have enough stress in coping with everyday life, don’t create too many additional sources of stress! Once your daily eating and exercise is in place, you don’t have to deny yourself your favorite sweets from time to time! But let it be more of a reward!
Text : nutritional counselor Kädi-Liis Sepp